Saturday, March 22, 2008

52/9 - Easter bread

Well, this was supposed to be a create52 post, but it doesnae seem to be working at the moment.

52/9 Easter bread

So here goes. In Germany, my cousin can usually be relied on the make a scrumptious vegan easter bread big enough to feed a small country, so that everybody can happily spend the easter weekend eating. Here, I'm on my own, so I had to finally get off my bum and get my own.

I used this recipe as a starting point, but couldn't be arsed with the potato faff in the dough, and left the prunes out of the filling. I added about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of toasted oatmeal, to thicken it up, though. Oh, and I halfed the recipe, as well.

If this doesn't make sense to you, here's the recipe:

Dough:
500g flour
100g sugar
100g (I think) margarine
1 packet of fast action dry yeast
about 3/4 cup of handwarm soyamilk
Mix everything together and leave to rise, either in a warm place for a couple of hours, or over night in the fridge, which is what I did.

Filling:
3/4 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
3/4 cup poppy seeds
3/8 cup sugar
1 heaped tablespoon of margarine
1/4 cup soyamilk
1 1/2 tablespoons of oatmeal, toasted
grated zest of one lemon
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

52/9 - Easter bread

After it's risen, split the dough in 3, roll each third into a rectangle, spread with 1/3 of the filling and roll up. Place the 3 strands onto a baking tray and braid them - you can stick the ends together by brushing them with a bit of soyamilk.

Bake for about 50 mins, at gas mark 4 - I turned it down to about 3.5 after about 30 mins, though, to avoid it getting too dark.

Ice with a simple icing sugar/ lemon juice mix.

52/9 - Easter bread

As you can see, it split a bit during baking. If you want to avoid that, maybe keeping the dough quite thick and the rolls quite loose might help. It tastes yummy, anyways!

No comments: